Author Topic: Sibling Loss  (Read 5006 times)

earnone

Sibling Loss
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »
I look forward to the introduction of the topic, Sibling Loss, to this website in the near future. In the interim, I would like to begin a discussion regarding sibling loss which I believe remains a largely disenfranchised one.

The effects of losing a sibling are often felt throughout the lifetime of the surviving siblings. The extent of this loss however often goes unrecognized. Siblings are often encouraged to ?be strong for your parents? when they are, in fact, grieving themselves.

There are also various categories of sibling loss which present unique challenges such as twin loss, sibling suicide, and multiple sibling loss. A different set of considerations are also posed based upon whether the loss occurs in childhood versus in adulthood. The developmental stage of the surviving sibling at the time of the loss is a further consideration related to timing of the loss.

I am eager to read posts from others regarding the topic of sibling loss whether from a personal or professional perspective. 
ea