Author Topic: Loss and volunteering  (Read 4521 times)

Christine

Loss and volunteering
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:29 AM »
As a volunteer coordinator with Continuum Hospice, it has been inspiring to walk with people as they deal with their losses by giving of themselves to others.

On this website alone I see musicians who are volunteers, a memorial service where volunteers helped plan, organise and host the event and families whose members now serve as volunteers. It is humbling and powerfully rewarding.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had experience in dealing with grief thru the gift of volunteering and to hear what it means to you.

Christine Jones  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:02:58 PM by Christine »

Susan Karbiner

Re: Loss and volunteering
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:55:13 PM »
I suffered the loss of 5 family members last year--including a son--and of my mother and a good friend this year.  At the time that our son died unexpectedly, I was caring for my dying mother-in-law at home, and Hospice was called upon to help me.  I couldn't have continued to care for her while grieving for our son if I hadn't had such tremendous support from Hospice.  After my mother-in-law died (which meant I lost my job of taking care of her), I knew I was in danger of succumbing to depression if I didn't find something meaningful to do to get me out of the house.  I decided I'd like to be part of a team like the wonderful Hospice team that had supported me, so I went to a training session and became a volunteer.  It has brought some answers to me at a time when I've been questioning the meaning of life, and has been rewarding in so many unexpected ways.

Each of my clients is different; their situations and attitudes are different; no situation is like mine was.  So I am constantly challenged to learn to know them better and find ways to bring moments of happiness into their lives.  I can't imagine a more rewarding job.