Author Topic: art and creativity in your life  (Read 3902 times)

egronke

art and creativity in your life
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Hello, my name is Elizabeth Gronke and I am the art therapist at Continuum Hospice Care. Here is something I wanted to share with this online community. This is from a book called "The Soul's Palette" by Cathy Malchiodi:

"A creative act is one that invokes imagination, making the invisiible visible. It reflects what is inside of us, parts of the self that are more authentically conveyed with images than with words."

This is a basic premise of the field of art therapy. Sometimes it is impossible to find words for our feelings, but if we allow ourselves some creative freedom, our deepest experiences can be conveyed visually, or symbolically. I have seen the creative process at work many times in bereavement groups and individual sessions and I believe that it is a valuable way of expressing one's grief.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has been, or feels compelled to make art or write poems or do any other creative activity as part of his or her grief process? I would be interested in hearing about your experience.