Author Topic: Grand Rounds  (Read 2384 times)

wpurdy

Grand Rounds
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:47:26 AM »
It was a pleasure to speak at the Visiting Nurse Service of New York Hospice.  VNSNY is the oldest and largest home care agency in the nation, and they have a dedicated staff of clinicians and administrators.  The topic of my talk was "Healing a World of Grief: Hospice, Bereavement and the Internet" and focused on three major challenges to the grieving process in our time.  They are challenges because of the inherent contradiction in each.  The first is that grief in our society is often individualistic or private -- even though our world is more "connected" than ever before.  Second, we know that people grieve in their own way and at their own pace -- and yet we are pressured to "get over" grief fast.  And the third challenge is that knowing how bereavement services have healing value, emotional and physical, our society nonetheless makes these rather difficult to obtain, and government does not fund bereavement services that hospices are required to provide.  All three points originally figured into launching this web based TV channel to deal with the needs and overcome the challenges to grieving in the 21st century.  In the future, I'll blog about each point in more detail.  Let me know if you'd like to discuss the specifics in a particular order or if you have any comment to add.