Author Topic: BRIDGE LIGHT  (Read 10967 times)

Joe Piazzo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
BRIDGE LIGHT
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:14:30 AM »
ABOUT THE ARTWORK

Anyone who has ever seen the Brooklyn Bridge will recognize it as the opening scene in our videos, as well as the artwork depicted at the end, during the credits "crawl."  The painting "Bridge Light" is by the late Charles E. Murphy, an accomplished artist who specialized in urban streetscapes.

Mr. Murphy was a hospice patient and after he died, JoAnne Murphy Grafflin, his former wife, offered to make the painting available for use by the Grieving Center in gratitude for bereavement counseling she received.

The painting looks from Brooklyn toward Manhattan.  Rays of light reflect through the doubled gothic arches that anchor the famed span, the American flag visible on top. 

When it existed, Continuum Hospice also used the painting for its condolence cards.  For the inside, we chose a verse by Walt Whitman.

"And you that shall cross from shore to shore years hence are
more to me, and more in my meditations, than you
might suppose."
                                                              Leaves of Grass

At one point during the Civil War, Whitman was a nurse at the Brooklyn Hospital.  He was also a reporter for the Brooklyn Eagle, a paper once published in a building that still stands at the foot of the bridge.

"It seems a perfect wedding of art with text," JoAnne Murphy Grafflin, said.
"I hope Charlie's painting elicits solace in everyone who sees it."

BRIDGE LIGHT by Charles E. Murphy (c) 2004 Estate of Charles E. Murphy      
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:41:27 PM by wpurdy »