Author Topic: Ed Rath - Artist  (Read 6605 times)

Joe Piazzo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ed Rath - Artist
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »
Grieved and Bereaved in Brooklyn

www.edrath.com

Eight months ago my wife Laura died from breast cancer. We were together for twenty two years. Even though we knew that her death was inevitable, I did not anticipate the overwhelming flood of emotions which have saturated my consciousness since she died. After many months of taking care of her, she is now gone forever. Though I know it is true, this fact is not easy to accept.

I have seen that traumatic events such as this have the power to alter our lives in unexpected ways. As I adjust to a world without Laura, I find myself becoming more introspective of my past in general, with the hope that I will be able to see the promise of the future again someday.

Going through the grieving process is almost like going insane. Yet, I am told it is a natural process, and it is important to allow it to happen as it will. I am grateful for all of the support I have received from family, friends, co-workers, and from the Jacob Perlow Hospice Center bereavement program. I have been fortunate to have such a loving community to be there for me during this time. Without bereavement counseling, I doubt that I would have been able to come to terms with some of the issues that grieving has brought up.

Since my artwork has always been concerned with personal narrative, it is natural for me to try to find a way to express my grief through painting. In this exhibition, I am using landscapes, seascapes, portraits, and self-portraits as subjects to explore the layers of intense feelings that I have been going through.

I can offer no explanation for why I am compelled to make art all the time. I just know that it helps me process the experiences that make up my life.  Rather than try to explain what the paintings mean, I am providing the following annotations, which may or may not give some insight into the who, what, where, and why of what they mean.

This exhibition is dedicated to the memory of my beautiful Laura.

October 25th, 2005.
The exhibition took place in November 2005, at the 55 Mercer Gallery, in NYC.